Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Oops!

I found this draft that I started two weeks ago!
Obviously, I'm not updating very regularly.
----------

Ha!  How much fun are Old Library Man's responses to junk mail offers?!  
This one cracked me up!


Barb Marshall at ritewhileyoucan posted a wonderful article 
about an eight-year-old boy 
who decided to write every country in the world.

Toby has a website and a FB page.

 source

OK, on to catching up a little.

I tried some flower pounding on tea bags.
As you can see, the best print is on the paper towel,
not on the tea bag.

 more paper towel prints
 some were better than others,
but nothing special
 some were complete disasters

Added a piece of batting,
then embroidered.
Better.

The bright colors worked much better.



Mail:  (both outgoing and incoming) has been a little slower this summer, but I'll share a few examples soon.  I've fallen down on writing the grands, but both sets have been vacationing, so I doubt they missed checking the mail for my inspiring missives!

Reading:  lots of science fiction and mysteries that I've reviewed at A Garden Carried in the Pocket.  

Gardening:  A couple of weeks ago, the tomato plants stopped producing blooms due to the heat.  Fortunately, there are still some green tomatoes ripening.  I'm in the mood for some fried green tomatoes!  

I'm about ready for fall, y'all.  

12 comments:

  1. Love your embroidered teabags! You should've gotten my letter by now -- hope so, anyway. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your letter came yesterday, Connie, in another beautiful envelope! Will send a reply soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Love those return mail responses! Your tea bag experiments with pounding flowers is interesting. Beautiful embroidery on the tea bags...love that technique! It's unique and unusual...at least to me it is. But I don't get out much. LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they funny? I'm thinking about checking the junk mail and imitating the Old Library Man's idea. I don't get out much either, Annie. Thank goodness for the internet! :)

      Delete
  3. I dearly love the tea bag art! I've used them in artist books - a long time ago - but having seen these I might just try something else with them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That was something I was thinking about doing, Penny! I still haven't decided about how to go about it, but I wanted to do keep some of them together. I'm never much good about finishing things up.

      Delete
  4. Your embroidered poundings have turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some of them did. Most were pretty awful with muddy colors, but it has been an interesting experiment.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the idea of fall. Well, except that I'm not ready to go back to school quiet yet. I want to savor every moment! Those teabag/flower poundings are interesting, although I'll admit the paper towel is working too well. Maybe try using wax paper instead of the paper towel or put wax paper between the two. That way the tea bag has a chance to absorb the flower juice. (Sorry I don't have another word for the flower juice. lol) Your embroidery really does do the trick to making them stand out. I love the outcome!

    When your grands all get back, you'll have to make a concerted effort to renew the letter writing, but I have no doubt that you will. Of course, you could use this down time to get ahead. Or pound some more flowers--that seems to be working really well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your reluctance, Mary! I was always happy to delay going back to school. Funny, though, I spent a lot of the summer preparing lessons. The flower pounding worked best with the leaves from Persian Shield which gave a nice purple, but I'm giving it a rest for now. Oh, and the fact that when one of the Triad made an unexpected leap from the top cabinet made me pound my finger instead of the flower...damaged my interest as well as my finger!

      Delete
  6. Oh my, I love the experimenting you are doing with tea bags. And that first embroidered one with the pink & purple, it's very special. Would you by any chance be willing to part with it? I'd love to teach with it next year and know it would really inspire my students. Let me know and name your price xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Now that is a surprise! I't was just an experiment, and I hope you won't be disappointed, but it's yours, Debra. :)

      Delete

Good to hear from you!